26 June 2009

Chapter 5: Swinging From Vines

Week one (also know as orientation) is now officially over and starting Sunday I’ll be known as another Camp Friendship Counselor.

This has been something of a test, a pre-test, but certainly worth it. Next week will be a real test, seeing if I can manage and survive as a counselor. I’m looking forward to it, this past week was definitely rewarding on various levels.

First off – my thoughts on Minnesota: aside from the bird sized mosquitoes (and other insect/bug like critters) I like what I’ve seen so far. The weather is crazy unpredictable but I’m from El Paso, so I’m used to quick changes. I love the amount of green and blue (water) that I’m surrounded by – what a pleasant change! Accommodating to the various “accents” has already taken place, especially that typical Minnesotan open vowel sound. UGH! I need a dose of Texas!

Next – my thoughts on camp: it’s a trying time, even if your own campers don’t pose any “problems” you’re surrounded by campers with any/all types of disabilities and you can’t help but notice and feel something. As for my week specifically, I had a wonderful cabin to assist. The other counselors and the campers in that cabin were such an awesome group, they kept me smiling and laughing everyday and today at the talent show, one of the campers wanted me to hold her hand as we walked to the stage (and yes, I was in the talent show too – dancing the “Cha Cha Slide” with my cabin). I've met some really great people here as well and the counselors are from all over the world, which is just awesome. Everytime I speak to someone new, I also encounter a new "accent." It's wicked. However, living quarters are exactly as expected (if not worse) at least for this week. It’s not exactly the Hilton but it is camp. However, our light fixture did fall and pierce the wooden floor – if someone had been standing just under it, there quite possibly could have been a death; definitely a serious injury. Anyway, I move Sunday morning (or maybe Saturday night) into my new cabin for the upcoming work week. I’m pretty excited about it and looking forward to it and just ready to officially get to work.

Tomorrow a group of us (4 of us from the orientation staff) will be traveling into St. Paul and hanging out. I’m super excited about that, we’ll get to see something other than the camp and get away and have a little fun before starting work Sunday morning. I’ll be sure to snap pictures! Be sure to check in weekly, I’ll be updating since communication is sort of limited and will only get worse after this weekend.

Until next time,
Courtney Chivon

No comments: