04 July 2009

Chapter 6: Bent But Not Broken...Yet

After making it through my first official week as a counselor, I’m not sure how I’m going to survive the next six.

Aside from feeling as though the truth was slightly manipulated when it was presented to me, I also don’t feel as though I’m fully or properly trained for some of the things we are expected to do. This and breaking from a regular routine has made me feel quite defeated. I said originally that I wanted to get away from what I was doing everyday because it felt like time was passing too slowly and I was sure that this would help time pass a little quicker. As it turns out, not being able to do the little things I was doing in El Paso have made me crazy because those little things almost undoubtedly were for Caleb (care packages). AND time is NOT passing any quicker except for the weekends which are too short to begin with.

Anyway, back to week one: it was crazy, chaotic, tiresome, frustrating, and funny; all around a true learning experience. We created a “family” out of our cabin aptly named the Wasie Family (after our cabin name). It started with the counselors and then the campers joined in on the fun, making themselves characters which just made it that much more hilarious. We had a quote wall which aided in sanity and helped us laugh when things were tough and we (counselors) had vent sessions nightly in order to keep from breaking down. Subsequently, the best way to prevent breaking down is by cracking up – laughter truly is the best medicine.

In the end, I was relieved to have a break, I honestly did not think I would feel so glad to have a little peace; hence the reason I’m not sure how I’ll last the next six weeks. While I was sad to see campers go, because you do create an attachment, I was far too close to my wit’s end to deal with much more this week and needed desperately to have a little “me” time. I did get to enjoy a tasty dinner last night and meet some more new people and get a few things from Wal-Mart (never thought I would miss the Wal-Mart)! Today I’m hoping to head out to Minneapolis to partake in some 4th of July festivities and start a new week tomorrow. I choose to remain optimistic about week three, I can only hope for the best. Luckily I don’t have to switch cabins this week and I’m with two counselors from week one and a counselor from week two that I know, hopefully that will make things easier.

I’ve updated the Picasa album a bit and will be doing so as much as possible.

Until next time,
Courtney Chivon


No comments: