18 July 2009

Chapter 8: Halftime

Being halfway there puts you in the tunnel with light at both ends. I have just completed week four at camp leaving me with four more weeks until I head back to Texas. I was sent to Camp Eden Wood for the week, we only had 40 campers on the entire camp (Friendship generally has around/over 100). The camp itself was really cute; small and woodsy – felt very camp like. The food was amazing, I ate way too much during the week and for the most part, the people were pretty awesome too.

My campers this past week – wonderful! Week four has been my favorite week of campers so far. The week was exactly what I needed after feeling a bit defeated with Friendship, the change of pace was perfect and came at the perfect time. I still had a large cabin (9 campers) but I had an amazing staff group to work with and things ran smoother than I’ve experienced so far. I’ve come back to Friendship with a new outlook, a new attitude and new expectations for myself. I now feel that I know how to handle my own perceptions about things that I don’t agree with (regarding fellow counselors). I feel revived.

When I got back to camp last night I checked the cabin list for the upcoming week to see where I would be living and who I would be working with. I am so excited for Sunday! I’m working with one other counselor, whom I love, and my favorite program staff. The three of us have worked together before and we have a great relationship – the skies are clearing and the sun is shining light at both ends.

Until next time,
Courtney Chivon

No comments: