16 August 2009

Chapter 11: If I Weren't A Counselor, There's Nothing I'd Rather Be...

I just finished week 8 yesterday and my biggest thought right now is: “wow, the summer really went by quickly.”

It was not an easy summer, not that I expected it to be, but when looking back, it was an amazing summer. The job I just completed was taxing on my body and mind; it was emotionally and physically draining and it was absolutely exhaustive – and that’s just from dealing with campers. Then add personality conflicts between co-counselors and drama all around and making time for new friends = lack of sleep and loss of bone density by the end of the summer. Mostly, the last 8 weeks proved to be a great time for reflection and change. My life as I knew it June 21st was put on hold and I started a new one – temporarily. Although I knew how long it would last, I got lost in my new place and am apprehensive about what I’m supposed to return to, asking: “will it be ok? What will still matter to me? How have I changed and what will that mean for relationships I established before camp?”

There is so much that I’m eager for next and it makes leaving camp an exciting and welcome change but for two months my life has existed within a fence and comprised of scheduled activities taking me from 7am – 9 pm everyday. This makes leaving camp a nerve wracking change; I never thought I would be nervous about returning to my life, but I’m wondering if there is still room for me in it.

Camp has also shown me who I really am – though I can say that about other parts of my life, I think camp symbolizes all that I am made of. I know my job was to provide and enriched environment to people with disabilities, maybe change someone’s life (if even in a very small way) but I found that the biggest change in someone’s life was the change that happened in mine.

To those I've met because of camp, especially a handful of you (you know who you are), thank you so much for being a part of my most memorable summer. Without your shining faces, my days would have been grey and without your tender ears and open hearts, my nights would have been long and dark. You've given me wonderful memories, advice, moments of joy and laughter and your friendship will forever be my very best souvenir. I will carry it with me when times are hard and remember that we once fough brutal situations together, survived and remember that nothing was ever as bad as we felt it was in the moment. Thank you.

Good-bye Pine, Good-bye Wasie, Good-bye North Dorm (EW), Good-bye Mourning Dove, Good-bye Irish Rose, Good-bye Camp Friendship, we’ll see you next summer…

Until next time,
Courtney Chivon

No comments: