03 August 2012

Chapter 32: Taking a Breath

This is my moment to take a step back and breathe. As stated before, I tend to get quite passionate when I feel the need to step in and stand strong for what I believe. And although I'm not directly affected by Chick-fil-a, I am indirectly affected because I have friends who are homosexual and because we are all human beings. But this blog isn't about the restaurant, it's about how heavy my metaphorical heart has become recently. The past few weeks and especially days have ignited a fire inside and because of that I admit, I exploded a bit - evident with my last blog. Now, like a volcano, smoke and ash are all I have left but at least I can sound a bit more rational. 


As stated in a past blog, I am a humanist and if you need help understanding what that means, you are to turn to John Dewey not Jesus Christ. Don't misunderstand, this isn't a blog about religion either. 


The aforementioned restaurant, more importantly its COO, have been in the news for quite some time but only recently has it become mainstream and an incredibly hot topic especially among social networks. I stopped giving money to most fast food restaurants when I stopped eating at them for health reasons but my decisions were also based on which restaurants were major contributors to the meat and dairy industry and my refusal to be a part of that. Without continuing this conversation, can you see where the next one is going? Once it became public knowledge that CFA contributes to anti-gay organizations, I made the cognizant choice not to be any part of it, not them or any business who has in place discriminatory practices of any kind. 


So let me speak briefly about the hot topic: CFA. It isn't about a chicken sandwich. It isn't about Freedom of Speech. It isn't even about marriage. It is about knowing where a portion of your money goes when you buy a chicken sandwich from that company whose COO freely speaks his mind about marriage equality. Whether you do or do not agree with the "definition of marriage" as it currently stands is not the issue, nor do I necessarily care. Whether you do or do not agree with the discrimination of another individual because of said person's sexual orientation IS the issue and I DO care about that. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion. Yes, you do have the freedom to say what you want. Yes, you can choose to give your money to any organization but if you're deliberately doing so with knowledge of where your money goes from there then you're directly fueling hate. If you choose to justify your actions by saying that your money goes to a sandwich and not to an anti-gay organization whose sole purpose is to "pray away the gay" then you are STILL directly fueling hate. If you are contributing to an organization and you're honestly oblivious to what happens after you turn that money over, then you are indirectly fueling hate and you now have an opportunity to make decisions. 


What decisions? 


Decisions about what kind of human you want to be. Do you want to be compassionate? Do you want to see the fruition of "all [people] created equal"? Do you want to stand up for those who are pushed down? Are you unafraid to support something that doesn't directly affect you simply because you know that what is happening is wrong? If you answered yes to those questions then you may want to evaluate some of the choices you make. 


The difference between 2012 and 1938 Nazi Germany or 1960 Montgomery, Alabama is that speaking up for what you believe in support of someone whose rights are being infringed upon will no longer result in your persecution. You won't be killed for standing up for your fellow [hu]man but the hate and discrimination and death that existed then exists STILL. How interesting that changes in persecution have occurred for supporters but not for those directly fighting the battle. It would appear as though we are out to save ourselves before we will recognize that we have the greatest power to affect change for others. 


Whether it be a matter of sex, race, gender, age, weight, height, or cognition everyone is entitled to live their life with dignity, respect, human rights, and most importantly, WITHOUT fear. Nobody deserves to live in shame just for being born. Nobody deserves to constantly hear, see, or feel words of hate. Nobody deserves to be told that some part of their life is unnatural. It is not our place, as people, to judge. As humans it is our place to be empathetic, to help, to love. 


I will continue to fight for battles that I believe in, regardless of where I sit on the spectrum. No, I'm not going to end relationships with people who don't see things the way I do but I am going to evaluate those who choose to live without compassion, without honor, without love. I don't agree with extreme behavior from either side - you won't see or hear me acting out aggressively to make a point. But you will hear or see me act out with passion. You will see or hear me advocate when necessary. You will see or hear me promote organizations like GLAD, GLAAD, HRC, CHANGE.ORG, UNESCO, PARTNERSAGAINSTHATE.ORG, and others of the like - national and international.


My final thought for now: remember that silence is acceptance. When you choose to stay quiet your lack of words and/or actions speak volumes about your character. 


I'm not going to say that I've lost all hope for humanity, I haven't. And if I did say it, wouldn't that weaken my current argument? Because if I lost all hope then what would be the point of fighting?


Until Next Time,
Courtney Chivon

No comments: