11 August 2012

Chapter 34: Evaluating 'The List'

You may not be aware of the book 30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30. It is an expansion of a list printed in Glamour magazine fifteen years ago. The book uses vignettes by various famous, powerful, intelligent, and glamorous women. 

A while ago I received a copy of the list as a forward from a friend of mine. I've been thinking about it ever since. Each day something happens that reminds me of items on the list. Rather than present it to you and leave it at that, I'm going to discuss each item on the list as it relates to me, and I'm going to present each item over the next thirty days.

I've found myself at a crux in life, one in which I am evaluating everything and everyone in my life and around me with a more critical eye. During the past year I have gone through a variety of triumphs and downfalls, I've shared those things with people close to me and in some instances, I've not received accolades or consolation. I was left wondering if I had done something wrong, if I was being treated the way I had treated. The more I consider the issues on the list, deeper than face value, I realize that it isn't always me. That sometimes, it isn't them. Sometimes, it's as simple as the complex and constructed notion of time.

I apologize in advance to the male readers of my blog, you may not find some of the reading particularly engaging but I urge you to stick around. I promise to make it fun...well, I promise to try.

Until Next Time,
Courtney Chivon

No comments: